Hastings Open Bowls Tournament
The Hastings Open Bowls Tournament has been held annually since 1911 and is a Five Star Tournament licensed by Bowls England. It is a mixed open one week tournament. Tournament dates for 2014 are as follows:
Monday 11th August until Saturday 16th August 2014
The 2013 Tournament was successfully completed.
Post-Tournament report is here.
Happy New Year. The Committee would like to start the year by acknowledging the Great Men who ran their Tournament in 1914 just weeks after the Declaration of War. It was deemed a success, albeit with some entrants already in uniform and unable to take their place on the greens. It would be good to have a robust and competitive field 100 years on.
Points to Note;
- Committee Changes
- Martyn Naylor has stood down after an excellent spell in the Chair – doubling as Sec for much of the time. We wish him well and look forward to him competing this year and in the future.
- Matthew Lock is our new Chairman with Maureen Charlesworth elected as his Deputy.
- Mary McAleer has joined the Committee
- The new embryonic web site gallery.
- I am taking my first faltering steps with FlickR, but interested people may note that the gallery contains some excellent photos of 2013 Semi-Finals and Finals. These are courtesy of Bob Bogie, who took them for his own records but allowed me to publish them here – for which I thank him.
- I shall be trawling for digital images throughout the 2014 tournament – all contributions will be most welcome.
Hastings Open Bowls Tournament is played at White Rock Gardens commencing the second Monday in August each year. The Charity open mixed triples competition, in aid of local charities, is held on the last Sunday in September each year and marks the closing of the outdoor bowls season. The Hastings Open Bowls Tournament consists of Ladies' Singles, Men's Singles, Ladies' Pairs and Men's Pairs and Open Triples event where teams can be mixed or single sex. Lawn bowlers enter from various lawn bowls
clubs in England, the UK and abroad. The Hastings Open Bowls Tournament greens overlook the English Channel. Accommodation is available in the heart of 1066 country where there are numerous attractions to be found in Battle and St. Leonards. Also close to Hastings & St. Leonards are the towns of Eastbourne, Rye, Tunbridge Wells and Brighton. The Hastings Open Bowls Tournament greens are close to Priory Meadow Shopping Centre. Come on try your luck and print your entry forms for both events from this website.
The Hastings End of Season Triples Charity Tournament will be held Sunday 28th September 2014. As this is a highly popular tournament, get your entry in early to avoid disappointment as entries may be limited.